Skip to main content

Lessons From A Dog


If dogs could read, this is the letter I would write our dear friend Judd who just passed away over the weekend and post mark it to Heaven's Gate. (That is in fact my one wish from God, that he will let dogs in heaven. My barter with him goes something like this, "God if you let dogs in heaven, I promise I'll open my mouth and tell as many people as I can about your son to try and lead them to your kingdom.) I just really love dogs. But I guess that's no secret. Enough about that, back to my letter.

Dearest friend,

You showed me many things in your two short years of life. I just wanted to thank you. You taught me that big hearts are far more admirable than what you can offer as a premium package. If you were to go to a job interview, you would get hired for your bright personality, your eagerness to live life, and the way you could make people laugh; not necessarily because you were the greatest at chasing cattle. I can apply this to my life so easily little girl. When wondering what I have to offer to the world, I need not look any deeper than my own heart. You helped me to realize that as long as I love people along the way, and truly make them feel loved, what I do from 8-5 is so trivial compared to the hearts I can touch.

You taught me fearlessness. Watching you ride on the back of a flat bed was almost terrifying as your paws rested on the very edge and you leaned over the side to see what was ahead of you. You could have easily laid down and waited until we arrived, but no, you were fearless and eager to face the day. You took risks, risks that many dogs aren't willing to take, and that made you admirable.

You taught me to laugh. I remember the humiliating feeling of having to move home in between jobs as a 26 year old. I worked for dad on the ranch that summer and you were just a puppy then. You slept in the living room beside Panda, and I took the couch. That could have very well been a terrible summer of dragging my feet. But instead, it was a summer full of joy. I couldn't wait to wake up everyday and take you on our daily adventures. Watching you play with Panda made me giggle on a daily basis. You my friend, gave me something to look forward to, because every day was full of laughter. So I thank you. I'll never forget this past summer at the lake, when I'd throw Panda's frisbee in the water, you two would race to get to it first. If it happened to be you, you'd step on it and push it down in the water so Panda couldn't find it. And you'd just sit there and watch her swim around helplessly. You were pretty clever, and oh you made us laugh.

You gave comfort. I know I can speak for mom and dad here too Juddy. Bad days were just better with you around. I'm not sure how you did it, but there was nothing quite like coming home to you. Oh how I looked forward to coming in the driveway and seeing you perk up and greet me. I couldn't even get my car door all the way open before you'd be there licking my face and crying with excitement as you nudged your nose in my ear and got my pants dirty. You had no boundaries, but that's what they say about love; it has no boundaries. I know you helped dad through some rough days as he looked forward to taking you with him everywhere he went. He needed you there right beside him, to give him love and make him smile. You laid under his desk when he worked in his office, you sat shotgun in the feed truck while he fed cows, and you are the only dog he's ever let sleep in the house, aside from mine of course. He loved you dearly, because you loved him. And if he had to leave you behind for the day, I can bet you somehow convinced mom to let you inside. It was your eyes. Just something about them made us see you and we couldn't say no. Mom needed you there by her bed on a rough day, or playing with a balloon to make her laugh, or she just needed someone to spoil, so she'd give you treats and sit down and talk with you. 

You played with your whole heart. Never have I seen a dog play the way you did. The way you ran made everyone laugh. You taught me that sometimes doing what you love looks foolish to other people. You may get laughed at, made fun of, or even scolded; but if you truly love the life you live, well, nothing else really matters does it? You just went for it, whether it was frisbee, swimming in the lake, chasing cattle, playing in the mud, chasing Panda, or even attempting to do a slip-n-slide with us, you looked goofy, but you absolutely loved every second of it. Your tongue, since a puppy, always hung out like you were tired, but since day one, you were just excited to be alive. 

You taught me to fight for what you love. We always called you a jealous dog. Whenever another dog was getting attention you would run over and put your head under my arm and somehow place yourself between me and the other dog. Yes, at times this was annoying, your total obsession with having all the attention, but gosh, I'll be the first to admit it was nice having someone love me that much. No matter what anyone said or did to you, you always showed them love. That is a rare trait my friend.

But even if you could read all of this Judd, I'm not sure you'd have to. I think you knew how much we loved you. You saw our hearts, and I can truly say you are one of the only dogs I've met who could do that. If every human out there could learn something from you, it would be to not let your pride get in the way, and to continuously see the good in people. That's what makes a dog admirable, and that is what makes anyone admirable. So thank you Judd for showing us a dog's perspective on life, because as humans, we all could take notes.

Much love my friend. You will be missed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Rhonda

If you were privileged enough to know my Aunt Rhonda, you may have heard these words when she greeted you, especially at a family gathering, "Come here so I can suck your face!". Now, that may be entirely too straightforward while starting off a tribute to my dear aunt; but that was Rhonda, straightforward, with just the right amount of love and comic relief mixed together so perfectly, to make even the grumpiest of men, or a crying toddler crack a smile. Her presence made a family gathering that would otherwise be considered just ordinary, extremely special, because Aunt Rhonda was in the room. Half way through my sixth grade year Rhonda, and my cousin Justina moved just down the road from us on our family farm. Although this was a trying time in the Becker's life with the loss of my grandmother and a complete life change for our families, the selfish part of me is so grateful for that move and for all the memories acquired because of it. There was no better way to grow

Emily - Our Light

On my desk in my little apartment in Naples, sits the candle Emily gave me for Christmas. A very fitting reminder to me of what a light she was to my life and to the lives of everyone that knew her. I light the candle each morning and spend a few moments with her before I begin my day. Although these moments of peace are fleeting, it is during this time where I find the most comfort. I'm hoping God can miraculously make sure the wax won't inch any lower and I can continue this for as long I need; or I may be going to the nearest CVS pharmacy to replenish the "Chestnut Clove", three wick candle. She accidentally left the receipt in the bag, (good one Em), so needless to say I know where to find it when the time comes. Although I only knew Emily for a short seven months, she left an impression on me that would take most relationships a lifetime. That is just the kind of person she was. The definition of a soul that can change your life just by interacting wit

7 Reasons Why You Should Hire the Farm and Ranch Kid

Well here I am, still on the ranch, without an official "new job", and yet I'm reminded daily as I witness my family scurrying around like ants with a plan, this is the place that taught me the true meaning of work. I'm getting muscles again from gardening and lifting corn seed bags, and also remembering just how tired you can be after an entire day in the sun chasing cattle with pea size brains around in circles. I think back to my college days, when my teammates were so impressed with how well I could hang clean in the weight room. I remember thinking, "I learned to hang clean at 8 years old when I wasn't tall enough to easily swing the saddle over a horse's back". I had to muster up all my scrawny little strength to hang clean it, (even though I had no idea that was a weight room term) and then actually lift it over my head and push entirely way too hard with my pathetic toothpick legs and arms to get the saddle up on the horse. The blanket w