Skip to main content

Unemployed Woman With a Trusting Heart

Today I quit my job of two years. During those two years I was challenged, stretched, and grew as an individual more than I have grown in all of my 29 short years of life. I left, not because I have bigger and better things I want to tackle, no; I left because God has bigger and better things for me to tackle, and not in a materialistic way. Let me tell you, those words sounded strange coming out of my mouth this morning, as I explained to my boss my reason for leaving. But I know they were true.

Over the past several months, when I'd get in my car every morning, I would say to myself, "Megan, what are you doing? This is not where God wants you anymore." I continued to ignore it and it showed in my work. My effort was lacking, my motivation slipping, and my mind racing, wondering, "If not this, then what?" I loved the people I worked with, my boss was fantastic, and the perks I received from working in the corporate world would make any person extremely grateful for such gifts. There was just one thing I was ignoring. My heart.

Paycheck after paycheck rolled in, and still I wasn't satisfied; I knew I wouldn't be until I looked to God for an answer. Through hours of prayer and discernment, I knew it was time for a change. In a world where technology keeps us entertained, money keeps us comfortable, and work keeps us busy, it is hard to always "check in" and see if we are on the paths He has laid out before us, or if we are creating a path of our own. I know now, I was creating my own path, weed whipper in hand, desperately chopping down everything in sight and getting lost in the process. Society will tell you, "If you want it bad enough, all you have to do is work for it." I will tell you otherwise. No matter how badly you want something, if God doesn't want it for you, you will not be satisfied with what you get. You will get moments of satisfaction, but a lasting peace will not remain.

I've always been one who uses faith over reason. This would be what most would call a "crazy person's" way of making decisions. Faith can sometimes cause you to make a decision that seems rash to others, it can make you look impractical, and rather silly. But that is the beauty of it. He knows every sparrow that falls to the ground, and all the hairs on your head, and yet we cannot seem to trust Him enough with our lives. I had trust tucked under my arm like a football and no one was going to make me give it up or fumble it, not even God. The problem was I wasn't making forward progress. Negative yards and terrible defense was it, (like our poor beloved Huskers). Last weekend I finally gave God the football, and said, "Here, you call the plays now." His first play call was, "Blue 42, Blue 42, put in your two weeks notice, hike!" Terrified, I ran the route, and now I'm back in the huddle, shaking in my sneakers, and waiting for what is next.

What is next you ask? I do not know, and when I see you next, I still probably won't have an answer. My spiritual director told me a few days ago, "Sometimes when God shows us glimpses of our future, he shows it like a GPS. But He cannot reveal all the roads we will take, the stops, the turns, the car troubles...because if he did, we would probably run the other direction in complete fear." Ha! I relate. He only shows us our next exit, our next turn, or our very next stop. One detail at a time. We are after all, silly humans, and I know I'd be lying if I said I could handle more than one order at a time.

So here I am, completely trusting, and completely clueless. I write this to encourage you, not to go out and quit your job haha, but to encourage you to listen. In the silence He speaks. You can invest in land, stocks, a home, a new car, a job, or even in people, all of which are good things, but if you invest in silence, it will be the best investment you make on your time here on earth.

Much Love and Many Blessings,

-Signed Unemployed Woman with a Trusting Heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Rhonda

If you were privileged enough to know my Aunt Rhonda, you may have heard these words when she greeted you, especially at a family gathering, "Come here so I can suck your face!". Now, that may be entirely too straightforward while starting off a tribute to my dear aunt; but that was Rhonda, straightforward, with just the right amount of love and comic relief mixed together so perfectly, to make even the grumpiest of men, or a crying toddler crack a smile. Her presence made a family gathering that would otherwise be considered just ordinary, extremely special, because Aunt Rhonda was in the room. Half way through my sixth grade year Rhonda, and my cousin Justina moved just down the road from us on our family farm. Although this was a trying time in the Becker's life with the loss of my grandmother and a complete life change for our families, the selfish part of me is so grateful for that move and for all the memories acquired because of it. There was no better way to grow

Emily - Our Light

On my desk in my little apartment in Naples, sits the candle Emily gave me for Christmas. A very fitting reminder to me of what a light she was to my life and to the lives of everyone that knew her. I light the candle each morning and spend a few moments with her before I begin my day. Although these moments of peace are fleeting, it is during this time where I find the most comfort. I'm hoping God can miraculously make sure the wax won't inch any lower and I can continue this for as long I need; or I may be going to the nearest CVS pharmacy to replenish the "Chestnut Clove", three wick candle. She accidentally left the receipt in the bag, (good one Em), so needless to say I know where to find it when the time comes. Although I only knew Emily for a short seven months, she left an impression on me that would take most relationships a lifetime. That is just the kind of person she was. The definition of a soul that can change your life just by interacting wit

7 Reasons Why You Should Hire the Farm and Ranch Kid

Well here I am, still on the ranch, without an official "new job", and yet I'm reminded daily as I witness my family scurrying around like ants with a plan, this is the place that taught me the true meaning of work. I'm getting muscles again from gardening and lifting corn seed bags, and also remembering just how tired you can be after an entire day in the sun chasing cattle with pea size brains around in circles. I think back to my college days, when my teammates were so impressed with how well I could hang clean in the weight room. I remember thinking, "I learned to hang clean at 8 years old when I wasn't tall enough to easily swing the saddle over a horse's back". I had to muster up all my scrawny little strength to hang clean it, (even though I had no idea that was a weight room term) and then actually lift it over my head and push entirely way too hard with my pathetic toothpick legs and arms to get the saddle up on the horse. The blanket w