Skip to main content

The Grand Tour

If I could let you inside of my mind, I would have to warn you, be prepared for colors. And tidiness does not dwell here so I apologize for the mess. Upon entering the front door, which is often left open for new ideas, you will see shades of blue and purple splattered on the walls. Those colors were once stored in a box of their own in the back room, but I would open it too often and found it left me feeling a bit unhappy, so I decided to make them part of me and my living space. They are hurtful memories I've turned into beauty. Colors of orange and pink are scattered on the furniture, which I might add are mainly floating clouds I sink into often; hints of sunrise portraying reds and yellows engulf them. I love falling into these clouds, as I can dream new dreams. Phrases come when I look at objects, lyrics and poems are written in tiny lettering all over the walls. I sit in my clouds and stare at words, wondering how to let them out cleverly. I am hard at work here, always creating something new, something funny, something a bit cunning; books are even read here. I am here so much, some people think I am a bit odd, a bit too silly, or some may even think I do not care about serious matters. But I will then question those people, on what they consider serious. I guess you could say I do not like to dwell on things that are trivial, like money for instance. And material things. And surface level conversation, it threatens this part of my home and will take the colors away. My colors are most vibrant when assisted by living creatures such as, well, babies and dogs, haha. And of course my family and friends. All those whom add color to my life. I like to entertain this space the most, the living room of my mind, however, I find I don't spend as much time here as I should. I get too caught up in other rooms, I'll take you there soon.

Before I take you any further, I must share with you, the floor of my mind is covered in a thick primer I call faith. It is decorated with greens and browns, the earthy tones where I feel the most grounded. Without it, my mind would not be sturdy and I'd easily fall through. I shudder at the thought of not having this essential aspect; if my parents had not taught me to paint the floor with faith when I was young; that reckless and helpless feeling of falling so frequently would make me sick. I'm not saying I do not fall, oh my dear, I fall frequently, but faith helps me stand up so much faster. There are some areas where it could use an extra coat, trust me, when I fall in certain rooms, it is indeed most difficult to stand up again, but I always do. If you have not painted your floors with faith, I suggest it. If you wonder how, I'd love to help you. My favorite thing is to help decorate another's mind with all that is good. Call me an interior designer of the mind.

The kitchen over to the right, is where my mind is fed. It is where all my thoughts and dreams are cooked up. I try to feed it with daily prayers and words of affirmation but often times I don't consume healthy thoughts, the ones that nourish my mind and soul to make me stronger. But I do my best here. I grab a bowl and mix together ideas, dreams, desires, and sprinkle in a few prayers for good measure. But I spill. I'm a little clumsy in the kitchen and my measuring is not always accurate so as I desperately whip them around in circles some of those dreams accidentally spill out onto the floor and walls of my mind and are only left for me to look at. So I bake what I'm left with and the reality of the finished product sometimes just doesn't come out right. The taste may be too sour, or may have no flavor at all. Sometimes it's well done, so I throw that batch in the trash, and sometimes I get too impatient and cook up something quick, but we all know good things take time, so I'm working on patience. This is also the part of my home I call "good intentions", because I would never try to fail, or to let someone down, or to be mediocre, it just happens sometimes.

The hallway is not very well lit, I'm working on that too, as I am a lover of the light. In the bathroom is where I cleanse my soul. Good self talk happens here as I look myself in the mirror. At least most days. There are those days I would rather not look at myself at all, but honesty with oneself is essential if we are to dwell pleasantly in our own mind. Those thoughts that come that I'd rather not hear, I wash away, and as I see them disappear slowly down the drain I pray they go down for good.

In the back of my mind is a dark room. It is coldest here. I should not open this door but I do. Here is where all things terrible are stored. All of us have this room in our home. Some of us are just better at keeping it shut. If you walk into mine, you'll see a rut in the floor where I have paced back and forth chewing on fears, anxieties, and negative emotions. I come here to try and fix the past; regrets, shame, and all the like. I try to paint over them and make them go away, I haven't quite figured out how to make that work as long as I am here. They are too strong and I forget in this room who I am. I think less of myself here. I have taken a few boxes out, to use as decoration as I explained before, to make them part of me, but other boxes are still sitting here in the closet, covered in tears. I'll take them out eventually. Death lives here, and a longing for people I've lost, people I've hurt, and an all too vivid replay of those who have done harm to me. I suggest if you have this room in your home, not to go there often, only if you need a reality check; those times you feel you are better than others. I think this room was only created for us to be humbled, however we do not have a good grasp on humility and so it can destroy us if we make it our regular living space, because we store things in here that should have been washed down the drain in the bathroom. If you do have this room in the home of your mind, my best advice is to never leave the door open. Everything in here will come out and make the rest of your home a dark and cold place. When this happens, it is extremely difficult to gather everything up and put it back.

The last room is what I call the room of memories. Since I visit it often, people say I have a good memory. I just tell them, I am grateful for life's experiences so my way of showing thanks is to hold on to them tight. It never gets full, somehow it remodels itself to make extra room for all things wonderful. Here I can sit for days and revisit times in my life when I was happiest. Childhood memories float around on butterflies, picture frames hold tightly onto old friends, newspaper clippings tell stories of all my travels and the people in them who made me laugh. All my accomplishments and great attributes dwell here, sitting neatly on a shelf under a spotlight to remind me I am enough. And of course, to remind me of the talents God has provided me with. I like to revisit the memories involving other people though, the one's that give me the warm and fuzzies, which is why this room is kept at the warmest temperature, and is full of soft blankets. In this room also dwells people I have lost in my life, but the longing for them is not as strong, it is mostly a gratefulness for their existence, as only laughing occurs here.

In the very back of my mind there is an escape door. There is a sign above that reads "QUICK ESCAPE". It is only supposed to be used for emergencies, however I find I use it more than I should when I get tired of sitting with myself. When I go out this door I can do mindless things, most of which people call drinking, netflix binging, scrolling on the internet, sleeping when I should be out dreaming and living, reading useless material that I end up taking back in the door with me. Remember garbage should be left outside the home, too often we bring it in with us. You get the idea. I'm sure you have one of these in your home too. Society will tell you this door is called "YOLO" or "ME TIME", or maybe even "KNOWLEDGE", but be careful believing them. I'm sure if you were to take a good cleaning rag and apply it to the sign, when you wipe away whatever words are there, "QUICK ESCAPE" is hidden beneath them.

Thank you for taking the tour of my mind. I hope in it, you have seen we all have very similar spaces we call home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Rhonda

If you were privileged enough to know my Aunt Rhonda, you may have heard these words when she greeted you, especially at a family gathering, "Come here so I can suck your face!". Now, that may be entirely too straightforward while starting off a tribute to my dear aunt; but that was Rhonda, straightforward, with just the right amount of love and comic relief mixed together so perfectly, to make even the grumpiest of men, or a crying toddler crack a smile. Her presence made a family gathering that would otherwise be considered just ordinary, extremely special, because Aunt Rhonda was in the room. Half way through my sixth grade year Rhonda, and my cousin Justina moved just down the road from us on our family farm. Although this was a trying time in the Becker's life with the loss of my grandmother and a complete life change for our families, the selfish part of me is so grateful for that move and for all the memories acquired because of it. There was no better way to grow

Emily - Our Light

On my desk in my little apartment in Naples, sits the candle Emily gave me for Christmas. A very fitting reminder to me of what a light she was to my life and to the lives of everyone that knew her. I light the candle each morning and spend a few moments with her before I begin my day. Although these moments of peace are fleeting, it is during this time where I find the most comfort. I'm hoping God can miraculously make sure the wax won't inch any lower and I can continue this for as long I need; or I may be going to the nearest CVS pharmacy to replenish the "Chestnut Clove", three wick candle. She accidentally left the receipt in the bag, (good one Em), so needless to say I know where to find it when the time comes. Although I only knew Emily for a short seven months, she left an impression on me that would take most relationships a lifetime. That is just the kind of person she was. The definition of a soul that can change your life just by interacting wit

7 Reasons Why You Should Hire the Farm and Ranch Kid

Well here I am, still on the ranch, without an official "new job", and yet I'm reminded daily as I witness my family scurrying around like ants with a plan, this is the place that taught me the true meaning of work. I'm getting muscles again from gardening and lifting corn seed bags, and also remembering just how tired you can be after an entire day in the sun chasing cattle with pea size brains around in circles. I think back to my college days, when my teammates were so impressed with how well I could hang clean in the weight room. I remember thinking, "I learned to hang clean at 8 years old when I wasn't tall enough to easily swing the saddle over a horse's back". I had to muster up all my scrawny little strength to hang clean it, (even though I had no idea that was a weight room term) and then actually lift it over my head and push entirely way too hard with my pathetic toothpick legs and arms to get the saddle up on the horse. The blanket w