Skip to main content

Airports 12 Megan 0 (throwback edition)


July 13th, 2011

This is your captain speaking. Welcome to my blog and thanks for choosing MegBeck. Make sure your seat belts are securely fastened and follow along as I take you from sentence to sentence of my most overwhelming day at an airport, or several airports rather. You shall arrive at your destination in about eight minutes, give or take turbulence; we’ll call it reading skills. For safety purposes please keep your seat-backs and tray tables locked and in the upright position. In case of emergency, I do not provide oxygen masks, obviously.  

Ready? Now, let’s embark on a journey. For the sake of time, (I’m sure you’re all very busy people) let’s skip my three and a half hour drive to the airport, because that just involves heavy eyes, a cup of coffee and a lot of car singing. So, there I was at Omaha’s, Eppley Airfield, and honestly, I should have known the moment security had to take my bag aside to remove my illegal, six-ounce, deadly bottle of face wash, to throw it in the trash can right in front of my face, that maybe my day was not going to go according to plan. But I shook it off, sincerely told the lady to have a nice day and proceeded to my gate where I sat down and pulled out the book I’m reading on how to be successful. This book makes me feel good whenever I think about the fact that I just spent five years getting a degree and can’t find a job. Anyway, about two minutes later I ended up on Facebook updating my status because I’m sure everyone was just dying to know what I was doing at noon on a Tuesday.

So an hour later I boarded the plane, found my seat, buckled my seatbelt, pulled out my feel good book and began reading. Thirty eight seconds later a woman asked me if I would trade seats with her so she could sit by her little boy. Not a problem. The move was an upgrade; I was ecstatic to have an aisle seat because for a tall girl that means legroom. I was feeling pretty good about the switch, when I looked to my right and saw a very small woman sitting across the isle from me, (by small I don’t mean short but arms of toothpicks). She couldn’t have been too much older than myself, mid-twenties, with what looked to be a little one year old cheerio eater. Ah. He was a cute one, with a head full of hair and dimpled cheeks. I watched him awkwardly shove the cheerios in his mouth, sticking his entire hand in for just one cheerio. I thought nothing of it really, so I smiled and got on with my reading. It’s not like I had never seen a baby on an airplane before.   

Some fifteen minutes later the captain came on the loud speaker to announce there were some problems with the plane and they needed to do some repairing before taking off. Comforting. It didn’t surprise me; I have spent two hours sitting on a runway before so how bad could it be? I continued reading and began to notice that cheerio boy was starting to get a bit fussy to my right. His mother, who could have probably hoola hooped the cheerios he was eating, stood up and began to walk around the cabin with him to try and calm him down. An hour later we were finally ready for take off. The woman had successfully walked the boy to sleep and decided it was safe to sit down. Suddenly, cheerio boy woke up and began to make noises that made me wish I had volume control on my ears. A tantrum was evolving. At first I went on reading my book like nothing was happening but with peripheral vision and a good set of ears I couldn’t help but become fidgety myself, listening to the tornado siren next to me. I watched as the woman fought and struggled with the cheerio boy; he screamed and grunted and threw his head back on her chest like he was suffering the worst of a seizure.  This battle, that needed to be resolved with a continued nap, went on for about fifteen or twenty minutes. My right ear felt as though I had fired several shots from a rifle and cheerio boy and his mom were becoming awfully sweaty.

Finally a lady behind me stood up and said, “Honey, let me take him for a bit and give you a break.” Without hesitation, toothpick mom handed her child over to the stranger and guzzled down a bottle of water with tears in her eyes. Cheerio boy’s screams only became worse and this went on for another ten minutes before the stranger gave up and gave the boy back. As soon as toothpick mom had her son back in her arms again he immediately became silent. Note to all mothers with babies: If your child is throwing a tantrum that you can’t seem to resolve, hand him to a stranger and then he will have something to cry about.

So after a failed attempt to read my book, I finally landed in Chicago where my next flight would take off in a little over an hour. Only one problem, my next flight wasn’t going to be taking off at all. Cancelled. So I ran to the customer service line to ask them to help me find a new flight, but so did forty other people in front of me. I’m not really a fan of standing in lines, but people watching makes it bearable. Thirty minutes later I made it to the front desk. I told the man behind the counter my situation and he replied without even making eye contact, “So what?” I’m thinking to myself as I looked at the extremely overweight man, going bald, “What has gone so wrong in your life, that you would talk to me like that?” I knew I had two choices at this moment. I could get mad or get friendly. Getting annoyed, as I sometimes do, is quite a turnoff to people, and in my experience has never really helped me in life. So I got friendly of course. This strategy backfired on me however, because in my attempt to kill him with kindness I ended up hearing that he had a son who was my age that played baseball and could throw a 93 mph fastball. He was telling me how he was going to make it to the pros and blah blah blah, when the lady beside him said, “Dude she don’t care about all that, she just wants to get on a plane! Help the poor girl out.” Then she started telling me she also has a son that’s my age who is playing college football and trying to get into the NFL. So I left the customer service desk with two possible prospects for husbands and no plane ticket. The best they could do was put me on standby.

In the mean time my aunt and uncle had called United Airlines to try and work their magic. They had success. I was rebooked to Milwaukee. Only one problem, the plane was leaving in about forty minutes and I still had to get to my gate, which happened to be on the other side of the airport, and then print off my new ticket. It was a zoo. As I weaved in and out of zebras, monkeys and elephants I began to panic; I just had to make this flight. I finally reached my gate but surprise, surprise, there was a line to the help desk. I looked at the screen and it read, “Milwaukee, boarding in ten minutes”. I made it to the front of the line just as everyone started boarding. I grabbed my ticket, ran on the plane, or in this case, the puddle jumper, and prepared myself for a twenty-five minute flight to Milwaukee.

After I arrived to Milwaukee, I went to the first desk I could find and asked them to print me off a ticket to DC. The lady looked up my flight information and told me that I was switched from United to Frontier and needed to go talk to Frontier for a ticket. This meant that I had to go all the way back to the check-in counter at Frontier to get a new ticket. How convenient. Because now my next flight was going to be leaving in an hour and I had to go back, re-check in and go through security for a second time, then run through a zoo to find my gate. Life is good. Let me just say again, from my experiences, people at airports really act like they hate their jobs. Miss Frontier lady was very unfriendly. But after many exchanged dirty looks I received my new ticket and jetted up to security where I was greeted by a man who checked my license and told me he liked me better with my hair down. “Gee, thanks. I like myself better when I’m not stressed about airports sir, but your compliment or your attempt to give me a compliment just might help me make it through the day”.

I finally reached my gate, sweating, heart pounding, ready for the madness to end, when I found out that my flight was delayed an hour and a half. I love flying. This was where I really wanted to hit up a bar in the airport and blow thirty dollars getting drunk, or go find the nearest McDonalds and comfort myself with a burger, fries and large Dr. Pepper. Instead, I went and bought a salad and an orange juice, and sat down by the window, turned on my iTunes and watched the sunset, telling myself airports are all out of my control.

And two hours later I was finally on my way to DC. The crew on the plane felt bad for us so they came by and brought us cookies and milk and let us watch cable for free. This was almost worth it. Warm chocolate chip cookies compare to nothing else in this world. So I watched an episode of Intervention and Hoarders and thought again to myself, okay, yes life is good. I landed in DC at 12:30am, a little over 12 hours after arriving in Omaha. My uncle picked me up and we drove back to his house. Finally. Bed. It was 1:30am.

The next morning a boy in a red and yellow space suit with goggles greeted me at my bedside. “It’s time to wake up,” he said. “What are you wearing?”, I asked my soon to be eight year old cousin. “I’m a jet pack flyer”, he claimed, “And I’ve flown here to wake you up for breakfast.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Rhonda

If you were privileged enough to know my Aunt Rhonda, you may have heard these words when she greeted you, especially at a family gathering, "Come here so I can suck your face!". Now, that may be entirely too straightforward while starting off a tribute to my dear aunt; but that was Rhonda, straightforward, with just the right amount of love and comic relief mixed together so perfectly, to make even the grumpiest of men, or a crying toddler crack a smile. Her presence made a family gathering that would otherwise be considered just ordinary, extremely special, because Aunt Rhonda was in the room. Half way through my sixth grade year Rhonda, and my cousin Justina moved just down the road from us on our family farm. Although this was a trying time in the Becker's life with the loss of my grandmother and a complete life change for our families, the selfish part of me is so grateful for that move and for all the memories acquired because of it. There was no better way to grow

Emily - Our Light

On my desk in my little apartment in Naples, sits the candle Emily gave me for Christmas. A very fitting reminder to me of what a light she was to my life and to the lives of everyone that knew her. I light the candle each morning and spend a few moments with her before I begin my day. Although these moments of peace are fleeting, it is during this time where I find the most comfort. I'm hoping God can miraculously make sure the wax won't inch any lower and I can continue this for as long I need; or I may be going to the nearest CVS pharmacy to replenish the "Chestnut Clove", three wick candle. She accidentally left the receipt in the bag, (good one Em), so needless to say I know where to find it when the time comes. Although I only knew Emily for a short seven months, she left an impression on me that would take most relationships a lifetime. That is just the kind of person she was. The definition of a soul that can change your life just by interacting wit

7 Reasons Why You Should Hire the Farm and Ranch Kid

Well here I am, still on the ranch, without an official "new job", and yet I'm reminded daily as I witness my family scurrying around like ants with a plan, this is the place that taught me the true meaning of work. I'm getting muscles again from gardening and lifting corn seed bags, and also remembering just how tired you can be after an entire day in the sun chasing cattle with pea size brains around in circles. I think back to my college days, when my teammates were so impressed with how well I could hang clean in the weight room. I remember thinking, "I learned to hang clean at 8 years old when I wasn't tall enough to easily swing the saddle over a horse's back". I had to muster up all my scrawny little strength to hang clean it, (even though I had no idea that was a weight room term) and then actually lift it over my head and push entirely way too hard with my pathetic toothpick legs and arms to get the saddle up on the horse. The blanket w